SJ Focus Immigration Reform
2010-2011 FOCUS: Immigration Reform
Offer education to the 4 Corners community on:
- immigration history
- human impact
- economics issues
- local issues
Utilize a variety of approaches including:
- newspaper articles and letters to the editor
- contact with government representatives
- presence at political forums
- offer information in English and Spanish when possible
- discussion with friends/family/coworkers
- work with other organizations
- partner with Common Reading Experience.
- Dave Rich presented forum on “Modern Day Slavery”
- Vicki Coe and Eddie Soto attended Committee Meeting to offer their perspectives on our how our committee might proceed
- Showed “Crossing Arizona” twice, followed by discussion and open to the community
- Held a brainstorming session attended by 17 community members involved in immigration issues…from this meeting developed our goals
- Met individually with representatives of Companeros, FLC CRE, Durango Herald and the Unity Project
- The Durango Herald ran “Living in the Shadows”, a 4 days series on immigration
- 3 letters to the editor from our group were published
- Jen Smyers, from Church World Services, gave a presentation on Immigration and Spirituality and a workshop on immigration activism at
- UUFD as well as a presentation on the need for immigration reform at the Durango Recreation Center. Spanish translation was provided at all venues by a volunteer from the Unity Project.
- DCAT Recorded and will televise Jen Smyers presentations
- DVD of Jen’s presentations available for individuals and organizations
- Know Your Rights – Hosted Compañeros’ program to inform immigrants of their rights at UUFD.
- Colorado ASSET- Currently we are working with HEAA (Higher Education Access Alliance) to allow undocumented high school graduates pay in-state tuition for college.
- Coalition of Caring Communities – A member of our committee attends the monthly CCC meetings.